Saturday, August 2, 2008

More Art- Bigger Kids






Working at High Meadow Arts Camp with 10-13 year olds- a whole nother ballgame.
The first week, though I had set to make art cards (which we did) the boyz had other plans (which we discussed a/k/a argued about at great length.) They wanted to make props for their Zombie film although it wasn't really about zombies (who are- as we all know -the brain sucking living dead) but really nuclear blast- mutated humans just trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world. It was all about the props though, specifically the flame thrower which was not a gun but more of a chemical blaster used for protection by the only non-mutated human left. And also some other props – the story line however kept changing as did the need for supplies and though I am the Queen of Materials it was hard to keep up with these guys.
My second week was more on schedule making masks from cardboard, paper plates, leather and whatever else I could get my hands on. Much thanks to the resourcefulness of Roberta! – she is really the Queen of Materials, I am just in awe of her bins of goodies. I had two lovely girls to balance out the boys and the conversation and music were of a decidedly different tone. But we made some really cool stuff and I hope found an appreciation for materials, adhesives and the right tools – like the perfect scissors or a good xacto knife. And as always duct tape. If anyone comes out of an art class with an appreciation of the variety of uses for duct tape, they have learned a lot.
Can’t wait to see the zombie dvd-

No comments: